Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Book Wreath

Well, it's taken forever but I finally finished the book wreath.  I couldn't figure out how to fill in the inner portion of the wreath without it looking funky (those pages are a lot shorter than the pages on the rest of the wreath) but I'm happy with it overall.  Plus, I got lots of practice making this wreath, so I'm sure any others I make will be easier and less scary :)


In between packing for the upcoming move and studying for my CNA exam (Passed!), I finished another project along the same "book theme" as the wreath...



I started out with a cheap 11x14 canvas, a garage sale paperback, Mod Podge, profile pictures of the hubs and me, and black acrylic paint.  First, I tore out pages from the paperback (in this case Anne of Green Gables), and began to layer them on top of the canvas, securing them with Mod Podge.  I made sure to leave a couple of inches of the pages hanging off the canvas on all sides.  That way, I was able to wrap the pages around the edges of the canvas.  It also helped to vary the size of the pages.  Sometimes I used a whole page; other times, I used a half page, or even a paragraph that I tore out of the book.  Once the canvas was covered, I traced the hubs and my profile pictures on the canvas and filled it in with the black paint.  I did the same with "G" on the top.  After that, I was basically done.  I would still like to spray a coat of sealer on top to protect the pages, but that will have to wait until we move and can utilize the backyard to avoid breathing in the yucky fumes :)

That's it for now... I have a couple more projects to post on.  And of course, there is a ton of packing looming over my head!

1 comment:

  1. Very cute, Kelly!! I love the newspaper theme...it's very classic :)

    ReplyDelete